Wednesday, January 21, 2009

sandiego and new york shitty

(Note: This post was supposed to come a week or so ago. For posterity's sake I'll put it up unedited)

Back in New York city!

(just me and my girl in the citay)


It's been a really nice almost-week here, and I've gotten the chance to relax and settle down with some cold hard venting, a Christmas party, Super Mario Galaxy, book-buying, Edamame Hummus, and pickup bball.




I saw this guy on the subway. He played a decent version of "All Along the Watchtower", after getting off to a particularly shaky start. What a microphone rig though! All into an amp in his backpack. In addition to witnessing this, I also: watched/ate/waved my face in pretty snow that fell like ripped cotton, pulled my hamstring slipping on ice, ate samosas, and saw former roomate Michael Brink and Bjork on the street within the same 24 hours. NEW YORK SITY!

No, in all seriousness, it's been a positive couple of days, but I am scared crapless by the amount of shit in front of me and the inevitable stress and anxiety that creating work tends to bring. I wish stuff would come easy sometimes. I wish that I could intuitively crank out 10 pages a day or set my mind on an idea that I could follow through on, or even have fun FINISHING something. Unfortunately, the masochist in me not only knows this isn't going to happen, but is silently preparing myself for the struggle to come, rather than finding ways of making things more manageable. SIGH



I just want to go back here for a little while. Just a little while.








Winter Break was quite fun.



God why are some Blink-182 songs so sad? I've really fallen in love with this band, in the utmost, completely unironic sincerity, over the last six months. They really provide some genuine insight into the joys and failures of young love, as well as singing about Sombreros and Star Wars. They're far less immature and crass than their image suggests, and as I was never really into/ allowed to listen to them as a kid, there's not an excess of nostalgia in my appreciation; these albums are very good and complete on their own, even to a 20 year old kid in an era long after pop punk mattered.



This one, the last song off Dude Ranch, is particularly sobering.

Blink-182 - "I'm Sorry"

"Don't bide your time
'cause it is almost over
and I know you're down
I'll see you around

And I know it hurts

but you're just getting older
and I know you'll win
you'll do it once again"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He played a decent version of "All Along the Watchtower",

Was he really playing it? Are you sure you're not a cylon?

They're far less immature and crass than their image suggests,

Oh yes they are. If "Family Reunion" or "Blew Job" didn't confirm that, "Happy Holidays You Bastard" does.

But it fits. What's adolescence without over-the-top sick offensive humor? Or awkward first dates. Meeting girls at concerts. Social joys AND angst. Parties. Ordinary parental angst. And while we were spared the drama of parents breaking up, we know people that weren't.

I'm rather fond of them, even if they came around long after I was past that stage in life. (And even if I missed out on most of it.) They Got It™.

I wish that I could intuitively crank out 10 pages a day or set my mind on an idea that I could follow through on, or even have fun FINISHING something. Unfortunately, the masochist in me not only knows this isn't going to happen,

Yes it is. You're just not there yet. This is just building to it.